Avocado Egg Salad
One of my favorite quick lunches is egg salad and I have been on the hunt for a delicious recipe that does not call for mayonnaise. I have never cared for the taste of mayo and my aversion actually began when I was working at my grandmother's health food store as a high school student. I worked after school in the deli and one of my duties was to make salads for the deli case, a few of which included mayo. The mayo was delivered to us in 30 lb. containers and I was tasked with separating it into smaller containers. This ruined mayo for me as it was always such a mess and the smell of vinegar was pretty strong. In a way maybe it is best as mayo is not the healthiest condiment out there due to containing saturated fat and cholesterol.
Anyhow it has taken me quite some time to come up with an alternative that tastes yummy. I have tried yogurt in lieu of mayo but it just did not taste right. I also have tried alternative mayo like avocado mayo but the consistency nor the taste was too my liking. Finally, I came up with a combo that makes the egg salad creamy and flavorful - avocado and mustard!! Swap the fat in mayo for healthy fat in avocado. Add a condiment like mustard to enrich the flavor. Top rice cake thins with it and enjoy!
Avocado Egg Salad
6 hard boiled eggs
1/2 shallot (chopped)
1 avocado (cubed)
1/2 lemon (juiced)
1 Tbsp. classic or dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. parsley (minced)
salt and pepper to taste
Baguette or rice cake thins
1. Peel and chop the eggs and add them to a bowl, along with the parsley, shallot, and avocado.
2. Mash the eggs and avocado mixture with a fork until combined.
3. Stir in the lemon juice and mustard and mix well.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Cut a baguette into slices or prepare rice cake thins on a plate.
6. Top with spinach leaves/mixed greens and a scoop of the egg salad.
7. Garnish with parsley and ENJOY!